Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bunking Chandra Chatterjee

Let's name this prof X and this course Y.

I had volunteered for providing my services for counselling twelfth grade students as a part of the ongoing "Joy Of Giving Week". The schedule happened to clash with Lecture 1 of Y. Now I couldn't let the organising team down by not turning up at the last moment. So, I decided to give the lecture a miss. I pushed the electric-start button at 8.55 am and accelerated. There he was, Sir X, on his way to the lecture hall. Evidently, I had 'bunked' the introductory session and was caught bike-handed by none other than the professor. Dumbfounded, I greeted him and he returned a wicked smile.

Lecture 2. Sir X enters the lecture hall and scans the student area.

Sir X: "I hope attendance is not required today. Everyone seems present."
(Giving me a mean look:) "Oh, you're present! Everyone is here then."

I died in embarassment.

Two days later. We were forced to bunk the Lecture 3 to submit a business plan on time whose deadline, awesomely, co-incided with the lecture. Not having slept for 36 hours, we decided to treat ourselves with the legendary Bauaji-tea. As fate would have it, Baua-ji wasn't open and we came back. While I parked the bike, there he was, Sir X, returning from the lecture. I was caught again, bike-handed. Dumbfounded, I greeted him to a no-response.

Lecture 4. Having a lot of assignments the previous night, I had not been able to read the case study scheduled for discussion.

Sir X: "So, what is the dilemma in this case? Varun, why don't you try?"
Clue-fuckin-less, I turned the pages of the thirty-page case study, hoping for a miracle.
"What is the dilemma? Is it a bird, an animal, what is it?" I stared blankly, biting my lower lip.
"Have your read the case?" I shook my head.
"So you want a break? To read the case and come back? You want what: 10, 30 minutes? You want me to stop the class so that you can read it and enlighten us?"

I died in embarassment.

Lecture 5. I was feeling really proud of myself. Not only had I read the case study, I had also read the scheduled 16-page reading. There was no way in this world could I be raped this time. Bring it on.

"So, who all have read the reading?"
Sniffing an air of arrogance, I raised my hand: only to find that mine was the only one above the sea-level.
"Oh, for a change, Varun has read it."
Chuckles back to himself and repeats, "Today, for a change, Varun has done the reading!!!"

I died in embarassment, yet again!!!

P.S. A few minutes later while discussing the purchase behaviour for a bike, Sir X asked if anyone had recently got a bike for himself. Yours truly raised the fabled hand. Sir X dealt a crushing blow again.

"Oh yes, I have seen your bike."

Damn, this tiny XL campus!

71 comments:

  1. gud to read. u do have a rocking lyf in xlri.
    biting ur lower lip..ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. n i like d prof somehow.
    also i like ur bike conspiring against u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that your Sir caught you bunking and congratulations for the new bike :) Have fun driving on the wide roads of Jamshedpur....

    I miss them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You die of embarrassment when you get caught!! How sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. reminds me of this post --> http://jitsyspeaks.blogspot.com/2010/03/if-embarrassment-could-kill.html

    student & profs conflict is like this silent coldwar thing wich can neva end....the prof sees to it! :P

    entertaining read!
    i died lmao-ing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO! =))
    Super. Could actually visualize the events happening. Your life is a miracle at XL! =))

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe.. fun to read...which prof is this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So .. last term .. a prof asked similarly ..
    'Answer this question .. somebody and he was looking at me .."

    I (having been involved in a very different discussion till then ) did not oblige ..

    Prof looked on quizzingly !
    Why don't you answer ?

    Pat came the reply: "Sir, the questions seems to be too easy. "
    I am sure you know those moments when .. you don't know what comes out of your mouth.
    Same.

    Prof: Oh.. Is it so ? Sorry .. I did not realise.

    You knew then what happened the next class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. really interesting how one man's misery can be fun for the readers :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ devil: Zada khush mat ho! Tuu toh khush hogi hi, huh! I still love my bike the most in this world! Jaa na shadi kar le prof se!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Sweta: I got a bike for myself almost a year back! Thanks though. You've come to Jamshedpur?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Saumya: Please refer to Abhijit's comment below! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Purba: Well, to be precise, the feeling was embarassment + confusion + wtf + damn, not me again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Dandelion: Thanks! (: Lets hope this prof calls for truce! (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Arjit: Well, life has always been "happening" for me! Sometimes I wish it weren't this eventful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Anupam: :D Who was this professor?? Fin?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Abhijit: Really interesting how people mocking one man's misery becomes interesting to a third party :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Megha: Cummon yaar, khali fokat band mat bajwaao. Saarvajanik space hai yeh!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ha ha...enjoyed reading right from the start till the end of comments...LMAO...The title is well chosen.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ ana_treek: :| 15 more sessions to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dude, couldn't u have thought of a better name
    than this random pun ? I was hoping for better...
    Else a hilarious experience, i guessed the prof but didn't realize he had a sarcastic side, at least not from term 1 experience

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dude, couldn't u have thought of a better name
    than this random pun ? I was hoping for better...
    Else a hilarious experience, i guessed the prof but didn't realize he had a sarcastic side, at least not from term 1 experience

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dude, the name aint that bad either. :|

    Seriously man, the term1 Sir X was real sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bunking is always fun until u get caught and than its just hilarious hehe.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol..Jo karo usimein embarrasment..
    Nice one.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Dipa: True! But the point is that I didn't really bunk but was forced to. Anyway, make merry you sadists!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nah nah not poor you..Poor prof couldn't understand your efforts .. :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Le lo maze! Lag to meri rahi hai! ):

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aan aan poor he not you..I mean it dude..He loses as he was not able to see your efforts. :/
    Don't be sad be smiley like this always > :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ BI: You can never guess the professor, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Alcina: I wish he realises the same. Else, the options are ass-licking or reading all the cases and readings for the next 15 sessions!!!

    Let's see how far can I go with the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sahi hua beta tere sath. Kitna bunk karega. Sudhar ja. Ya number de proff ka mai bat karta hu.

    ReplyDelete
  33. hoho. hota hai hota hai. tera bhi din aayega. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ SFS: Haan haan, sadist kahin ke! Kya karega number ka?

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ Abhishek: Tere saath hua kabhi aisa?? :|

    ReplyDelete
  36. @ Sushant: Lively, definitely. But not sure whether I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That was fun..
    Like a delicious Monsoon Mango..
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks! What's a Monsoon Mango??

    ReplyDelete
  39. arre dude tum NIt ka naam pura roshan kar raha hai... lekin ye bata 4 saal NITjsr me rehne ke baad kisi chij se embarrasment bhi hota hai kya ... :-D
    Keep rocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. @ Ankesh: Haan sir, hota hai na! Aise kabhi koi professor haath dhokey peechhe nahi pada na nit mein!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. too many comments you have :) :)

    I guess have a reason to be proud of... which is he knows you very well in the class(for watever reasons!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. :D I would give anything to be flushed from the memory of every professor out here!

    ReplyDelete
  43. @ being alive: actually, latest updates are that the prof seems to be wreaking havoc on everyone this term. So, I'm kinda relieved!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I can't help chuckling at the way you've made your rape sound so funny...hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yeah, that was the intention (: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a blog bahi. versatile amazing posts it's always a treat visiting your blog after agap. Very nicely written with puns. Very clever..

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks, Akshhar. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  48. bada maja aya...take the professor for granted and then complain (in an awesomely funny way) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  49. I heard MBA profs are all sporting and chill :P

    ReplyDelete
  50. Very lively account of dieing in embarassments. I had fun reading it. What's the status now?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Status: Pretty much the same throughout the 20 lectures that finally finished!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Very funny experience you got there. Something to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  53. hehe i like your professor :) excellent account!

    ReplyDelete
  54. What's there to like? The sadism?

    ReplyDelete

If you know what a comment is worth to a blogger, do not spend the rest of your life in guilt!